Post Doctoral Fellowship Programme in Food Research
|Post Title:||Teagasc Post Doctoral Research Fellow Level 1 (PD1)|
|HR Reference No:||PD1/PB/0114|
|Research Area:||Food Research|
|Eligibility:||PhD in a relevant discipline with up to 3 years’ (max.) relevant experience.|
|Project Title:||Development of high protein bars as vehicles for functional ingredient delivery|
|Post Duration:||12 months|
|Location:||Teagasc Food Research Moorepark|
|Reports To:||Head of Department and/or other designated manager|
|Training Rate:||Appointment will be at the minimum point of the Post Doctoral Level 1 (PD1) scale (€33,975).
The current PD1 scale is as follows:
Increments will be awarded annually* subject to performance and completion of the prescribed training plan.
Note: Exceptional circumstances may apply for candidates with current or previous service in the public sector. *Remuneration and the annual cycle for the payment of increments may be adjusted from time to time in line with Government policy.
of the post:
|The project builds on outcomes of preceding work with the specific aim to produce nutrient-dense protein products as delivery systems for functional and nutraceutical ingredients. The technical challenges to be addressed include:
|Background:||The Teagasc post-doctoral programme provides training and development opportunities for early career scientists that enhances their experience of learning and equips them with the necessary skills for the next stage of their chosen career in research.
The Teagasc post-doctoral programme provides training and development opportunities for early career scientists that enhances their experience of learning and equips them with the necessary skills for the next stage of their chosen career in research. The Teagasc Food Programme at Moorepark encompasses many aspects of food science and technology: Food Processing and Functionality; Safety; Foods for Health; Food Cultures; and Food Quality & Structure.
The Teagasc Food Programme fosters science-based Innovation for the agri-food sector in a way that will lead to economic development and profitability through careful and targeted planning with a clear focus on the needs of the food industry.
Successful candidate work as integral members of a team of scientists involved in a highly competitive area using state-of-the art laboratory and pilot-scale facilities. The pre-commercial scale-up step utilises the extensive facilities and equipment of the Teagasc subsidiary, Moorepark Technology Ltd., in support of laboratory research to establish proof of concept, optimise process design and provide samples for formulation studies and clinical evaluation, where appropriate. Information generated during the course of the project is expected to lead to the development of innovative functional food ingredient concepts, which will require a proactive engagement with commercial interests to assess marketability.
This is a research focused training role the primary purpose of which is to provide early career scientists with the opportunity to develop their research skills and competencies in such areas as developing a research programme, project and budgetary management, developing and maintaining active collaboration with relevant national and international research communities, processes of publication in peer-reviewed academic journals, writing grant applications, attracting external funding, and the mentorship of graduate/post-graduate students. The PD Fellow will conduct a specified programme of research supported by a modular training programme under the supervision and direction of Head of Department or other designated manager.
Duties & Responsibilities specific to this project:
As a 1-year project which builds on the outcomes of a preceding project, the candidate will be required to take responsibility for the day to day running of the project and execution of experimental work under supervision of the PIs.
This includes first becoming acquainted with existing optimised formulations, and process know-how before undertaking adaptations i.e. inclusion of prebiotic and probiotics. Hence, the candidate is required to be responsible for procurement of consumables, analyses, supervision of assigned technical staff and interpretation of research findings.
The commercial imperative of this FIRMplus-funded project demands that the project engage proactively with commercial interests regarding technologically innovative outputs. The selected candidate is expected to participate in such technological transfer activities with the help of the Teagasc TTO.
Additional Duties & Responsibilities:
- To interpret research findings and prepare scientific and popular press publications.
- To disseminate research findings to a variety of audiences as appropriate.
- To assist Teagasc in meeting the commitments of the Quality Customer Service Charter and action plan.
- To comply with all relevant Teagasc policies and procedures.
- To actively participate in the Teagasc Post Doctoral Fellowship programme and review processes, and to undertake all Post Doctoral fellowship training and associated duties as agreed in the Training & Development Plan.
- To take up additional duties as they may arise and be assigned by management.
This section outlines the qualifications, skills, knowledge and/or experience that the successful candidate would be required to demonstrate for successful discharge of the responsibilities of the post. Applications will be assessed on how well candidates satisfy these criteria.
- PhD in Food Science & Technology
- Relevant research experience not to exceed 3 years’ post-PhD
- Demonstrated research and technical expertise in ingredient functionality and/or formulation
- Evidence of research activity (publications, conference presentations, awards) and future scholarly output (working papers, research proposals etc)
- Excellent project management, analytical, report writing and data analysis skills
- An ability to collaborate with team members and PhD students to help build research knowledge and skill and to guide professional development
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written, presentation) with an ability to enable effective knowledge and technology transfer
- Ability to generate new ideas, unique concepts, models and solutions
- Experience in ingredient research and innovation and consequences for food formulation
- Experience in setting own research agenda
- Evidence of teamwork and collaboration with relevant partners
Further Information for Candidates
Completed application forms should be TYPED and saved in WORD format and submitted by email to email@example.com later than 12 midnight on Thursday 6th February 2014.
Please state relevant reference code in all correspondence.
Teagasc is an equal opportunities employer. Canvassing will disqualify.
- Download the Word application form (231KB, Word format).