The Carrington Youth Fellowship Initiative, CYFI, is a dynamic youth-based initiative launched in 2011 by the U.S. Consulate General, Lagos. CYFI brings together Nigerian youth of exceptional vision, skills and experience to design and implement projects that have a positive impact on Nigerian society. Former Ambassador to Nigeria, Walter Carrington, was a champion of civil liberties, democracy and closer ties between the U.S. and Nigeria. CYFI fellows are committed to putting the ideals of Walter Carrington into practice. The theme of the 2012 CYFI year is “Youth Engagement.”
The CYFI Board of Directors, in conjunction with the Public Affairs Section at the U.S. Consulate General, Lagos, selects fellows who demonstrate exceptional vision, skills and experience. Fellows are them grouped into teams based on interest, and teams then develop and implement their own Youth Engagement Project (YEP) over the course of the one-year fellowship duration. In addition to working with their team to bring their YEP into fruition, CYFI fellows have the opportunity to attend various networking events, roundtables and forums on relevant social issues, hosted by the U.S. Consulate General, Lagos. The year will conclude with an awards ceremony for fellows, where fellows will be inducted into the CYFI Alumni Program.
2013 CYFI Application Instructions
The Carrington Youth Fellowship Initiative is now accepting applications for the 2013 program year. This year, applicants for CYFI can apply as individuals or as a group (maximum three members). There is no advantage to applying either way. Please find detailed application instructions below. Application deadline is December 15, 2012. The CYFI Board will interview shortlisted individual and group applicants in January 2013, and selected CYFI fellows will be announced by February 2013.
NOTE: Due to logistical and budgetary constraints faced by the U.S. Consulate General, Lagos, we regret that all 2013 CYFI projects must be held in Lagos State. All applicants must be legal residents of Nigeria.
Please do not exceed word limits on the application. We will stop reading after the word limits are reached.
: Applicants who apply as individuals will complete and submit the Standard Application Form
online (text of link:https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/SFDR8JK
the “Hypothetical Scenario Essay.” Find instructions for the Hypothetical Scenario Essay here
The purpose of the Hypothetical Scenario Essay is to judge the individual applicants’ ability to develop a plan of action in a logical, step-by-step manner. Individual applicants who are selected for the fellowship will be grouped into teams based on their interests as expressed in the written application and interview. Please carefully review the Hypothetical Scenario Essay instructions. Individual applicants should not e-mail in a project proposal.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I apply for CYFI?
Please refer to the Application
section of this website.
What is the duration of the CYFI program?
CYFI is a one-year fellowship.
Can CYFI give grants or funding to my preexisting project or organization?
While CYFI is a program that supports youth leadership and projects with a social impact, CYFI is a fellowship program, not simply an organization or NGO that gives grants. CYFI fellows are put into teams (or, for CYFI 2013, can apply and join as a team), and each team works collectively to design and implement a project with a social impact. Though some of these projects do indeed dovetail with existing projects and organizations that the fellows are involved in outside of CYFI (and CYFI is not opposed to that), the CYFI project is intended to be a team effort, and an original effort. CYFI is meant to bring like-minded young leaders together.
What are the benefits of being a CYFI fellow?
- Implement concrete, youth-oriented solutions to issues that concern you
- Access U.S. Government resources and contacts
- Catch the attention of American and Nigerian leaders in the public and private sectors
- Work alongside talented and motivated peers with diverse backgrounds, but similar visions
- Participate in CYFI Alumni Program
What are CYFI projects?
- Teams of 2-4 fellows submit project proposals to the CYFI Board
- Projects should be achievable in scope and address a current issue in Nigeria
- The CYFI Board supports fellows by working to connect them with resources and contacts
- Fellows work on their own time to implement projects
- Projects and fellows are celebrated at an end of year recognition ceremony for fellows
- All projects for CYFI 2013 must be carried out in Lagos State
What is expected from a CYFI fellow?
- Complete a project as part of 2-4 fellow project team
- Attend monthly project status meetings with CYFI Board of Directors in Lagos
- Participate in roundtables, networking events, and teambuilding events
- Prospective fellows should note that all meetings and groupwork for the CYFI project will be conducted in Lagos. Fellows who live outside of Lagos state and are unable to attend frequent meetings with their project teams and monthly meetings with the CYFI Board, in Lagos, will not be considered for the fellowship. Unfornately, CYFI does not have the resources to expand outside of Lagos State at this time. CYFI fellows must be legal residents of Nigeria
How can I, or my company or organization, contribute to CYFI?
We are very glad you asked! Please contact the CYFI Board at email@example.com
for more information on how companies, organizations and individuals can assist CYFI through sponsorship or in-kind donations. We welcome any support you are willing to offer, and we are willing to work with you to determine how you can best assist us. Some different ways to assist are detailed below:
– Sponsorship and Funding
Sponsor 1 team/project
Give a donation to the CYFI initiative
– In-kind support
This can be in the form of an offer of meeting space, equipment, or anything else your organization can contribute.
Mentoring 1 team on a semi-regular basis, to be determined jointly by team and mentor
One-time situational consulting/mentoring
Offer an internship opportunity with your organization to a CYFI fellow, to start at the end of the CYFI program year (Feb 2013).
– Participation in program events
We are always looking for individuals willing to speak at events on various program-related topics, and for keynote speakers for our CYFI Awards Ceremony.